Thursday, March 1, 2012

Book Club

I belong to a monthly book club that has been meeting for the last five years. We have fourteen members ranging in age from mid thirties to mid eighties. What surprises me the most about this group is how close we have become as a unit. The books elicit feelings the ladies share with our group. We have laughed and in many cases we have cried over a topic that was close to our hearts. Because of this community of readers I will not miss a meeting. These ladies have become a part of my life and they are important to me.

So far in 2012 we have read:


  1. Jeremy Finken and the Meaning of Life by Wendy Mass

  2. The Room by Emma Donoghue
In March we will read The Back of Beyond by Barbara Bickmore and in April we will read The Friday Night Kniting Club by Kate Jacobs.

5 comments:

  1. Book clubs are such a nice time. I always give that gift to my students but I don't always remember to give it to myself. Then there are years when I'm in too many book clubs! I guess it's about balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I belonged to a book a few years ago and it was a bunch of fun. We had theme dinners to match our book choice and plenty of discussion and laughs. Babies and life got the best of my time though. Your post makes me curious to see if they are still getting together. I may have to jump back in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MOM! I'm glad you changed your mind and decided to join again this year. (Even if it's only for the comments from your "Slicer-Cronies.")
    Love,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awesome that your group consists of women of varying ages and life experiences! I'm sure that allows the opportunity for such a rich discussion! Enjoy those books and meetings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ruth's mom! I loved The Room and Friday Night Knitting Club (though at one point I got mad at the author and stuffed the book under the couch for a couple of hours...).
    You also made me realized that my book club is long overdue for a meeting.

    ReplyDelete